Saturday, January 13

Sony fan to Sony Execs

Dear Sony Execs,

You don't know me. I am a guy who bought a PS2, PSP and a PS3. I love your products.
Hell, I almost bought a Sony Vaio laptop 'cause they're the best looking laptops on the market.
What I'm really concerned about is: who the heck are you guys trying to be now and what is your agenda?

I frequently look at my game collection and wonder where all the goodness went. I can't seem to understand what went wrong with PSP. Sure I have lots of PSP games, but RPG fans like me are starting to be concerned if you've lost that genre on handhelds. You guys can't lose RPGs, ever! RPGs are your ace in the hole. Sure, you've sold about 20 million PSPs but I still rarely see them in the wild. Do you execs even have or use your PSPs?
Is it do what I say, not what I do at Sony?

On the topic of management...
I don't know who is hiring all the noobs who keep trying to bring the company to its knees, but they need to be let go. It's time to trim the fat at Sony, for both of us.
Whoever is in charge of the Playstation Network needs to swallow their pride and copy the hell out of Xbox LIVE. I'll even give you a few suggestions:

Step 1. Common Courtesy.
Make sure everyday of the year, Playstation Network is working. If not, put up a notice or bulletin on your website explaining why and how long we have to wait for service again.

Step 2. Celebrate the New
Give me a reason to go back to Playstation Network regularly. What day can I expect new stuff? On Xbox LIVE it's Wednesdays. I usually go there every Wednesday, at the least, just to check on what's new. Because I expect something to be going on, I continually go back for more, which keeps my excitement level high. Get a calendar program going FAST.

Step 3. Work Together
Now this is probably going to be hardest for you guys. You all seem to be trying your hardest to make each other go out of business. Synchronicity, folks Synchronicity. Why aren't there trailers popping up in the Playstation Store every week? Why, why, why?? Because some of you aren't working together to make sure I want to buy your Sony digital goods. It's a family affair. Play nice and make some sales. PS3 is your second opportunity (PSP was the first) to bring some love to the boardroom.

Step 4. Go Back to Great
The PSOne and PS2 were milestones in gaming history. But guess what? Those days are over. Don't try to tell me that PS2s still sell more than Xbox 360. Don't try to tell me that PSP has more games that are higher rated than the Nintendo DS.
My PS2 has a pristine Network adapter. I can't download squat! I wouldn't want to. PS2 was about the games. PS3 and PSP are about the gaming world. Not the entertainment world. The gaming world. Get it straight.
So, maybe while I'm downloading a demo on PS3, I could read an article on an upcoming game on my PSP - all delivered from SONY. Take back the audience. We are your fans. Spoil us, cater to us, but for goodness sake STOP ignoring us! Some of us would like to spend our money with you. Learn from Nintendo here. You think the Nintendo website features people standing around using Sony products? Hell no! They show what you want ON those products. It's the gaming media. Again, the world of gaming.

In closing, this is just a small sample of what you can do right to repair the wrong. Playstation is in dire need of a surface buff. Dig your heals in and give us something good. Oh! you did that with PS3 and PSP. Now prove it!

2007 is here. Now what are you gonna do to make it better than ever for Playstation and ultimately Sony?

Concerned but hopeful,
Varchesis, Sony fan

Playstation ID: Varchesis
(good luck, Playstation Network down again 1/13/07)

No comments:

The Latest Video Game News from 1UP

Total Video Games News Feed

Penny-Arcade

PS3 Fanboy

Kotaku: PS3

Xbox 360 Fanboy

Nintendo.com - Latest News

Anime News Network

Hack a Day